Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Forgiveness

                                                       "You have to give up to go up"

Almost all of us have been hurt by actions or words of others, wether was from our parents, friends, partners, colleagues, or someone we don't even know. We all know about forgiveness but let's be honest here, it's one thing to read about it and the other thing to really do it. Action of forgiving is not easy. 
I've spent many years living in anger, bitterness, negative emotions that just lead to paying price for it, because you bring that anger and bitterness into every new relationship and new experience. 
When I started practicing Yoga, especially when I started doing it every single day some emotions started to surface. Old traumas, old wounds that obviously never been healed, some of them I wasn't even aware that were still there, but it was obvious that they were and they were effecting me and my present life. After I became aware of this I knew what is the only thing that is left for me to do- to forgive.
It was very hard. I cried a lot, and I let myself cry because I knew that was one of the ways to release my pain, I meditated on forgiveness toward those who hurt me, I found shelter in my Yoga practice, and then I also read that it helps if you write some kind of a letter to a person who hurt you, say everything you feel, you mean, and then burn it. I did that too. I remember the moment in one of the classes when I was in Ustrasana (Camel pose), and when I got up, i just burst into tears. It was amazing experience. It used to happen sometimes that I would let some tears out during a practice, but that time was really special and different. Amazing experience, after which I felt pounds lighter. I forgave.
After forgiveness you learn that the only one who can hurt you is yourself, because you are the one who lets others  hurt you. It's hard sometimes, especially if it comes from someone we care about. But we need to try to understand why and how we get hurt, to understand others around us, develop the compassion and then comes forgiveness. Every memory stays with you, forgiveness lessens the grip on you and helps you focus on positive parts of life. Forgiveness is freedom. 
Always remember: Forgiveness is not something we do for other people. We do it for ourselves to get well and move on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment